Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Adventures in Matchmaking

That title probably won't stick. I'll think of something better...

So, here goes. Instead of blogging about theatre or teaching or whatever, it's become...shall we say, necessary, to blog about a current adventure in my life.

DATING.

I signed up for Match.com back in July. I hadn't dated ANYONE, and I mean...A-N-Y-O-N-E, in about 5 years, so I was fed up. That's ridiculous. If I ever want to find a husband, I've got to "put myself out there," "get back on the horse," and all those other cliches you hear from people who date. I decided that I MUST be proactive, but in a way that I don't have to be the pursuer. Thanks to modern technology, that path exists!! So, now that I've had a few experiences, I am retroactively starting a blog chronicling my misadventures in dating.

I went for the whole shebang too. I didn't go in halfway. I paid the highest price for the premium membership with all the advatages it offers, and I'm trying my hand at the 6-month guarantee, in case after 6 months I'm still single(which is looking like a good decision seeing how I'm at 4 months, and still aren't in a relationship...). So, that means, in theory, this blog will be a year in the life of an internet dater. I won't use anyone's real names, or real details, that way if I end up marrying a dude from match.com, he won't get upset with me for writing about him.

So, without any further ado... let me begin my first adventure...

Once upon a time in July 2011, I went against everything I was brought up to believe about love, and bought a membership to Match.com. My father always told me that I'd meet my husband at church... never once in all my life have I ever met a boy at the church I was currently attending. EVER. So, at this point in my life, I want to get married, and I ain't gettin any younger, so I decided to give it a try. So, I began in secret.

First I talked to one guy(Boy A) who lived in Galveston. We had planned to hang out when I dropped off Jenn and friends for their cruise. I was hoping to begin dating this person while she was away so I wouldn't have to explain anything to her, but we just never came together.

Boy B looked promising. He and I had a lot in common. He was very well educated, had a Master's degree, and got it abroad, so he was a very interesting person. We had a lot to talk about. We started talking around the end of July, got on facebook with each other, then started texting. Soon after that we started talking on the phone, then we met up. Our first "outing" was lunch on his lunchbreak from work, which was alright. Very low pressure. I didn't really feel attracted to him, but since this whole thing is about stepping out of your comfort zone, I decided to give him another chance since we got along real well. So, we went out again, and this time did something romantic in nature. We got some wine and cheese, and enjoyed it in the park. I liked how creative and open-minded he was when it came to dates. We had a nice talk, discussed past relationships, and really opened up to each other. But, after that I just couldn't make myself be attracted to him. I feel bad. He was a good guy, and from what he told me, I think I'm exactly what he was looking for.

Boy C isn't really worth the mention, but I'll mention him since we did meet up in person. He was artistic and funny, but I wasn't attracted to him, so we only went out once.

Now Boy D...Boy D gets his own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment